Q: Spring thaw starting issues 1988 Pontiac Trans Am

I just changed the alternator on my 1988 Trans Am, after sitting for 3 months through the cold Chicago winter. I re-charged the battery and power is as perfect as ever. Added some octane booster just in case gas was too old and voila...Now, when I turn the ignition, the car starts but stalls after a few seconds. If I hit the gas pedal, it stays on but when I let go, it stalls. Seems like a faulty fuel pump but I figure I would ask someone else too.

Hello - your symptoms suggest a problem with idle control mechanisms, most likely the idle air control valve, or a dirty or malfunctioning throttle body. Also possible are dirty/gummed up injectors as well. I recommend a stalling at idle inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Spring thaw starting issues 1988 Pontiac Trans Am