Q: Spring thaw starting issues 1988 Pontiac Trans Am

I just changed the alternator on my 1988 Trans Am, after sitting for 3 months through the cold Chicago winter. I re-charged the battery and power is as perfect as ever. Added some octane booster just in case gas was too old and voila...Now, when I turn the ignition, the car starts but stalls after a few seconds. If I hit the gas pedal, it stays on but when I let go, it stalls. Seems like a faulty fuel pump but I figure I would ask someone else too.

Hello - your symptoms suggest a problem with idle control mechanisms, most likely the idle air control valve, or a dirty or malfunctioning throttle body. Also possible are dirty/gummed up injectors as well. I recommend a stalling at idle inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.