Q: 1986 Toyota pickup - power into coil but not out. I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and the ignition coil. What should I tr

The truck turns over but will not start. I have power into the ignition coil but not out. I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and the ignition coil. What should I try next?

The ignition coil should have three wires attached to it. A thin power (positive) wire coming from the ignition switch, a thin ground (negative) wire going from the coil to the ignition module, and a thick coil wire going from the coil to the distributor cap. Locate the negative/ground wire attached to the engine coil. Use a test light to check for power. The test light should light up indicating power on the negative side of the coil with the key on and engine off. If the light does not come on, you have a break in the coil wire and should trace the length of this wire (between the ignition module and ignition coil) and repair any breaks. If you need additional help with this, please reach out to us here at YourMechanic as we are always here to help.

3. 1986 Toyota pickup - power into coil but not out. I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and the ignition coil. What should I tr