Q: 1985 mercury marquis v6 3.8 the seal on the rear end is leaking were the drive shaft connects to axle and it needs repaired.

rear seal needs replaced drive shaft to axle leaking

Hi there. Remove the wheels from the vehicle with the vehicle on jack stands and remove all of the brakes. Then behind the brake spider plate, there is 4 bolts that is holding the axle shaft in place. Remove the bolts and remove the axle shaft. Use a seal remover and remove the seal. Put the new seal in and put the axle shaft back in. Install the bolts and torque them to spec. Then put the brakes back together and put the wheel back on and torque the lug nuts to spec. If you need further assistance with replacing the axle shaft seal, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• 1985 mercury marquis v6 3.8 the seal on the rear end is leaking were the drive shaft connects to axle and it needs repaired.