Q: 1985 Chevrolet Chevette hard to start when cold

My car won't idle. And it's very hard to start when cold. I believe it has no fuel left in the carburetor after sitting overnight. Recently, it continued running after shutting it off and then banged a bit. I believe the electric choke, timing, or vacuum may be at fault. This engine is installed in a 1929 replicar that I have just put 11,500 miles on without any trouble. It has always been garaged.

Hello. It sounds like the carburetor is not closing completely. This could cause the poor idle, hard starting and "dieseling" you are experiencing. The 6510-C carburetor you have uses and electric choke, which could definitely be the problem. It also has a stepped speed control system (SSC) which consists of a vacuum operated actuator that opens the throttle. The problem could be in this system too. I am far from an expert on carburetors, since they were phased out by the time I started my career. However, YourMechanic does have carburetor experts on hand who are ready to help you inspect your vehicle’s hard-to-start condition.

3. 1985 Chevrolet Chevette hard to start when cold