Q: 1970 Ford Custom pickup with automatic transmission won't shift out of first gear after pulling someone out of the mud.

1970 Ford Custom pickup with automatic transmission wont shift out of first gear after pulling someone out of the mud and engine tends to smoke at times and it has a rough idle when in park and at times in drive I really need help

Hi there. Check the transmission fluid and make sure that it’s full. If the fluid is good, then either the shifter cable could be stretched or the main valve on the transmission may have came off the shifter inside the transmission. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your shifting issue.

For the engine smoking and running rough, check the following for different types of smoke:

• Black smoke is caused by excessive fuel in the combustion chamber. This is usually done by either the spark plugs not firing or the carburetor flooding
  • Blue smoke is caused by excessive oil in the combustion chamber. This is usually done by having worn piston rings, valve guide seals leaking, or a Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV Valve) not venting causing the oil to force into the combustion chamber.
  • White smoke is caused by water or coolant entering into the combustion chamber either by the intake gaskets being cracked or by a burned head gasket.

If you need further assistance with your engine emitting smoke, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. 1970 Ford Custom pickup with automatic transmission won't shift out of first gear after pulling someone out of the mud.