Q: My Check Engine Light is on and my truck does not idle when cold. Do I need a new crankshaft position sensor or is this an ECM or timing chain issue?

Two years ago my truck backfired and would not run. I replaced the distributor, egr valve, mass airflow sensor, cleaned the intake and adjusted the throttle to idle slightly higher than normal.

Now my truck will not idle when cold, and sometimes will not idle when hot. Otherwise it runs great through acceleration. Check engine light says the crankshaft position sensor is bad but I replaced it as well and code remains after resetting.

So, how do I test all the electronics? Is it worth it or just get the timing chain replaced? I do not think it has been replaced at all.

Thanks!

3. My Check Engine Light is on and my truck does not idle when cold. Do I need a new crankshaft position sensor or is this an ECM or timing chain issue?