Q: from neutral to drive

When I pulled out of a parking spot and shifted into drive, it takes 3-5 seconds to start accelerating after pressing on the gas pedal. I checked the dashboard lights to see what gear I am in. It goes from Neutral to Drive back-and-forth. After I get over 10 mph, the problem is noticeable. What's going on?

This is an indication of a failed transmission range range selection switch. The information from this switch is used not only to indicate the driver’s choice of gear selection for the transmission to be electronically controlled, but also is used to determine if the transmission is in park or neutral for starting.

The fact that the range indicator is switching between drive and neutral indicates this switch is going bad. This range switch would need to be replaced as there are no serviceable parts internally. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose your shifting issue and install a new transmission range selection switch for you if necessary.

3. from neutral to drive