Q: "Alarm system needs service" message appears on engine startup

Occasionally, a message "alarm system needs service" appears when I startup the engine, causing the electronics such as sunroof to stop working. They told me at the dealership that I need siren module replacement. Do you have any advice?

It’s true that the siren module often fails and causes problems with the sunroof, among other things. The siren module communicates with the upper electronic module (UEM) to determine when the alarm should be sounded.

The Siren module does just what its name implies; if it’s the acoustic source for the alarm function. The siren module has an internal battery that goes bad over time and corrodes the module’s circuit board. There are other parts of the alarm system that could also cause the problem you are having, but the siren module is a very common failure. I would believe the dealer. If you’d like a second opinion, the team at YourMechanic offers expert diagnosis and repair.

3. "Alarm system needs service" message appears on engine startup