Q: (08 f150 4.6L) Truck is cutting off when making a complete stop at red light or stop sign.

I replaced my starter on my truck yesterday because the factory one was shot. It took longer than expected and my battery was disconnected for at least 8 hours. After replacing the starter, connecting the battery back and starting my truck everything seemed perfect. I got done the road after previously making a few stops at stop signs, and at about the 3rd stop sign my truck completely shut off. When im going down the road there are no problems at all, the truck runs as smooth as possible. Only when i approach a stop sign or red light it shuts off. These problems never occurred at all before replacing my starter. I was told it could be because my battery was disconnected for a long time and my computer codes were reset. Its a day later and its idling better at a higher rpm but still shuts off at traffic stops. I only got on the road just to test it out today.

Check the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve and see if its dirty or not functioning correctly. I recommend removing the IAC and cleaning it out. If the valve was sticking before, the computer could have caught it and adjusted the idle to accommodate the issue. After having the battery cable off, the computer is in a learning cycle which means that if the IAC is not working properly, the computer will have to relearn and may learn to shut off due to a faulty valve, even though the computer says its good. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling out at stops, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. (08 f150 4.6L) Truck is cutting off when making a complete stop at red light or stop sign.